All Booked Up Revisited...
January 01, 2012
Happy New Year!
It's the first of the year, and the first of the month and that means the Papertrey Sr Team is here with a challenge! This month, we are revisiting the All Booked Up stamp set and die collection. Nichole challenged us to create a card along with a set of book plates or a bookmark.
First the card. It's very simple...I wanted to to resemble a book, kind of like the cool modern notebooks. I did a strip of lined ledger paper across the front and diecut the word "friend" using the Block Alphabet die. I then stamped the "Good friends, good books" sentiment just below it.
On the "spine" of my card, I used a ticked from the Ticket Border die and stamped "BFF" using the Simple Alphabet set to resemble call letters you might find on a library book. :-)
Now for the other part of my project. I created a matchbook style booklet to hold some book labels. I gave this to my grandma for Christmas, along with a book and it made for a sweet gift! The idea kind of stemmed from the little ticket booklets I made in THIS post back when Just the Ticket was being released. Those little booklets were made with just a single ticket. This one is larger and has four rows of tickets inside.
The labels were cut using the Ticket Border die and then trimmed so that just a portion of the previous ticket remained attached to the next ticket, which creates the "spine" of the book. Since the Ticket Border die makes perferations between the tickets, the little book labels can be torn out of the book as needed. I already have adhesive on the back of the tickets, so the recipient can just tear them out and adhere them inside the cover of their book.
On the inside cover I also created a pocket in which I tucked a little bookmark. The base of the bookmark is one of the metal bases that Papertrey carrries, topped off with the Bookmark Topper die and a punched circle that was stamped with a sentiment from the All Booked Up set.
I'll show you step-by-step how I created my booklet in case you'd like to try to make one for yourself.
First I diecut a whole bunch of ticket strips. Before running the cardstock through my Big Shot, I adhered an Adhesive Sheet to the backside of my cardstock. That way, the recipient can just peel the backing from the tickets and she will be able to stick it right into her book. If you don't want to use adhesive sheets you could also put a few mounting squares or a strip of Scor-Tape on the backside of each ticket.
After I diecut my ticket strips, I trimmed them as shown in this photo. I left a 1/2" from the previous ticket attached to a full ticket -- that extra 1/2" will be used to bind the booklet. The center ticket will not be used and I set those aside for a future project.
Then I stamped lines from Just the Ticket onto each diecut, along with the "This book belongs to:" label from All Booked Up. The flower cluster is from Tag-its #5. I then created 4 stacks of tickets consisting of 6 tickets each by applying liquid adhesive just the that extra 1/2" piece that I left attached to each ticket.
After each ticket stack was created, I used my Crop-a-Dile to punch two holes in each stack as shown below.
Then I created my cover, or wrap, for the booklet. I started with a 5 1/2" x 4 1/2" piece of patterned paper and along the 5 1/2" edge, I scored at the following intervals as shown by the arrows in the photo): 1/2", 5/8", 3 1/8", and 3 3/8"
I then folded my wrap on the score lines and trimmed a 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" panel to line the inside (behind where the tickets go -- blue floral paper in my photo below). Then I adhered my ticket stacks to the wrap, just putting adhesive on that extra 1/2" that extends beyond the actual ticket and aligning the edge with the second scored line as shown in the photo below. I again used my Crop-a-Dile to punch holes in the wrap (using the holes already punched in the tickets as my guide).
I then folded the extra flap on the left side of the wrap over the tickets and punched through that as well (turn it over and use the previously punched holes as your guide).
Then to secure everything really well, I used some baker's twine and stitched through those punched holes. I went up and down the length of the booklet twice.
That's the basic construction of the book. You can also add a pocket to the inside cover like I did to hold a bookmark. I added a stamped circle from All Booked Up to the front as well as some strips of patterned paper.
That's all from me today! I hope you're enjoying your New Year holiday!
Be sure to hop around to the other Sr Team girls to see what they've whipped up using the All Booked Up set along with the coordinating products.